9 Jul 2013

Remembering Roger Sandland


By Emma Davies
 
It was with great sadness that Telford AC, fellow runners and I learnt of Roger’s death on Tuesday.

Roger, without doubt was the most caring, enthusiastic and generous man I have ever met. His passion for running and helping others to achieve their goals, always went above and beyond what was expected. Not only was Roger a talented and dedicated runner; for numerous people he was also their physiotherapist, training partner, dietician and coach. He was an amazing friend.

Roger always believed in me and I could never thank him enough for the hours he put in to helping me achieve my goals. From the age of twelve, Roger was a constant support – entering and taking me to races and always cheering me on – I could always hear his shouts amongst the crowds! When I was at University, Roger would still encourage and support me as much as he could, and it is with great fondness and affection that I re-read his emails and letters to me. Roger gave me an early addition of Paula Radcliffe’s autobiography, in which he had filled in the dates I achieved County and Midland titles. He left space for Olympic Champion….Well, sorry I am not there yet, Rog but if anything could inspire a runner/athlete, it is not only re-reading your letters but knowing your great passion for the sport you loved!

I have many fond memories of Roger that bring a smile to my face. I recall a time Roger decided ‘cross training’ was to become a part of my training programme. He had a tandem bicycle and decided we would go round the roads of Cardington (the hilly option!). It took Roger a number of weeks to realise that I sat at the back of the bike…and wasn’t peddling! That was the end of the tandem!  

One year, Roger and Ro even came on our family holiday with us – I was really excited about the break and topping up my tan – how wrong I could be! Roger’s plans for warm-weather training commenced! Early morning runs and swimming were going to be the bulk of my holiday! Yet training with Rog was never a chore, he made running fun and enjoyable and that is why I still love the sport.

There are many of us who attended ‘Roger’s Gym’ at his and Ro’s house in Cardington. The converted garage had everything, I will never forgot all the records and PB’s that displayed the walls. My favourite run had to be the ‘Wilderness’, a loop that went to the peak of the Caradoc and back down. I remember when I moved house, Roger turned up with a surveyor’s wheel and spray can! He spent a long time measuring 1km and mile marks from my house so I could complete my training and report back with times!

The majority of my schools, College and University years were spent training with Roger and travelling to races. I loved our trips out to compete; starting with Oswestry Olympics Summer Series, North Wales Cross Country League, Shropshire XC, Lake Vyrnwy Half, Great Orme, Chirk 10km, Fell races, Track races, Telford Series….the list goes on!

Writing this, I am struggling to express how much Roger helped me and how much I will miss him.

I don’t think any words can do justice to what an amazing man and athlete Rog was.

At the Ironbridge 4 Mile on Wednesday night, it was clear not only how many people would miss Roger but also how many were touched by his support and passion for running.

I know every time I run I will think of Roger. He was truly the greatest coach and friend.

Telford Athletic Club and I send our love to Ro, Beth and family.

Thank you, Rog, for everything.
 
Emma
x

No comments:

Post a Comment